Monday, July 15, 2013

Me? Nominated for a Liebster?!?

I'm finally back from a long week at the beach and in the car traveling and what should I see in my inbox but a message that I've been nominated for a Liebster by Miss Brigotti over at Write in the Middle! I'm so excited about this!!

So, what is a Liebster exactly? Well, it is an award for bloggers with less than 200 followers to recognize new blogs. When I first started this blog about a month ago, I just wanted it to be a place for me to share classroom ideas and to be a good example for what I expect my students to do this year on their own blogs. This has become something much bigger! I enjoy reading all the blogs I come across and getting inspired from all the ideas. 

As part of accepting this nomination I have 11 questions that Miss Brigotti made up for me to answer as a Q&A. At the end, I'll nominate 5 more blogs for this award. To accept my nomination, you must answer the questions I ask, tell us 11 things you want to share about yourself, nominate 5 fellow bloggers with less than 200 followers, and make sure you contact them!


Miss Brigotti's 11 questions for me:

1. What made you decide you wanted to be a teacher?
I've always wanted to be a teacher. My aunt taught elementary school and I used to go with her to help in her classroom during the summer. I've always loved the act of teaching. I used to play school with my brother. I had fantastic 7th and 11th grade English teachers! They made me want to do what they did.

2. What was the hardest thing about your first year?
I guess the hardest part of my first year was not realizing that they really don't teach you everything you need to know about teaching in college and learning how to really teach.

3. The funniest thing a child ever said to me was...
I teach middle school so I get funny things every. single. day. I wish I would have kept a journal of funny sayings from kids from the first year of teaching to now. It would be fun to look back on it and be reminded of that student. 

4. If you could change one thing about your school, it would be...
To allow the 8th grade Language Arts classes to have a 90 (I'll take 70 minute) minute block of time. 45 minutes does not do a Reading/Writing Workshop justice!!

5. What's your favorite hobby?
I love to knit. I taught myself to knit my first year of teaching. I needed a way to de-stress. I never knew  how stressful teaching could be and knitting allowed me to relax after the day.

6. Tell me three things you couldn't live without.
-Starbucks
-Cell phone
-iPad

7. Where would you go on your dream vacation?
Anywhere in a warm, tropical climate with sandy beaches and crystal clear water.

8. What was the most valuable advice you ever received?
I can't really think of any one piece of advice that stands out. I know I've received advice over the years. Some of it was good and some of it was bad. 

9. What classroom supply will you NOT share with your students?
I will not share my stapler with my students. Somehow it will end up broken before the end of the year. They have a stapler they're allowed to use.

10. What color pen do you grade with?
It's usually green, purple, or blue.

11. If someone gave you a grant to help start a school, what would you name it?
Miss Brigotti, these are hard questions! I have absolutely no idea. I'm not sure I would want that.

11 Random Things About Me:

1. My favorite color is red but I wear mainly blues and greens.
2. I love online shopping. 
3. I'm a high heel fanatic! 
4. I love going to libraries and bookstores just to look at all the books even though I get most of my books on my iPad.
5. Target is my favorite store (who doesn't love Target!?)
6. I become a culinary genius in the summer when I have time to cook but can't seem to manage during the school year.
7. Pinterest is my crack.
8. I've only taught at one other school.
9. I'm not a perfectionist in my own life but when it comes to school I am.
10. People think I'm organized but I'm not!
11. My favorite season is Fall.

Questions for Nominees:
1. How long have you been teaching?
2. What's your favorite teaching moment?
3. What's your favorite blogging site? (it doesn't have to be related to teaching)
4. What is your favorite place to buy things for your classroom?
5. What advice would you give new teachers?
6. What three things are always in your teaching bag?
7. What's your teaching style?
8. What do you love most/worst about teaching?
9. What's your favorite piece of technology to use in the classroom? How do you use it?
10. What could you not live without in your classroom?
11. What do you love to do when you aren't teaching?

Blogs I'm Nominating:

Mentoring in the Middle
Tales of Teaching in Heels
Middle School Teacher to Literacy Coach

Go check out these blogs! I enjoy reading them. I'm catching up on blog happenings from last week this week. So we'll see what all I can get done!

No comments:

Post a Comment